Although most homes being built today are already equipped with central air, there are still many homes around historic Brockville that do not have this component. Luckily, there are some crafty Do It Yourself ways to still keep cool without air conditioning or without running up your utility bill.
- Keep Your Blinds Closed – Did you know that up to 30% of unwanted heat comes from your windows? Using curtains, blinds and shades can help reduce your bills by 7% and lower the temperature in your home up to 20 degrees.
- Close off Rooms – Closing off rooms that are not used on a regular basis or bedrooms during the day, keep cool air in the main living areas where you frequent most.
- Fan Hack – If you are a DIY fan you will love this trick. Fill a bowl with ice or an ice pack, put it in front of a large fan at the same angle the breeze is flowing. This will make the air extra misty and chilly!
- Change Your Ceiling Fan – Did you know the direction in which your ceiling fan turns should be changed seasonally? Counter clockwise in the summer at a high speed will create a nice wind chilled breeze.
- Swap Your Light Bulbs – The type of bulbs you may be using waste 90% of their energy on the heat they produce. Try using CFLs or compact fluorescent lamps. This will not only lower the temperature of your home but also your bills!
- Long Term Improvements – You can purchase insulated window films that work similar to blinds. You can also utilize the outdoors by adding awnings, plant trees in front of windows to block rays, or adding vines.
I hope these ideas help and if all else fails, call me to discuss how I can get you in a home equipped with central air!