As much as we don’t want to admit it, the temperatures are cooling and winter is on its way. The snowy season doesn’t have to be as much of a hassle if you are prepared. Just like your car, you have to get your home winter ready, which can save you money and major headaches in the long run.
1. To prevent ice dams – ridges of roof ice that prevent melted snow from draining – ensure attic vents are free from debris. Poor soffit ventilation can damage shingles and cause mold inside your home.
2. If you are keeping clay pots outside in the winter make sure to empty the soil. The moisture in the soil can expand when frozen and cause the pots to crack.
3. Cover your air conditioning unit property. Wrapping it up too tight can not only cause corrosion but can also be a warm inviting place for unwanted critters! Placing measured out plywood over top of your air conditioning unit is a great way to protect it from falling snow and icicles.
4. Use silicone caulking to seal any gaps. If you see any gaps that are wider than the width of a nickel get on it! This will ensure you stop drafts and water damage in their tracks!
5. Dust of that pair of binoculars and take a closer look at your roof from the ground. Keep a look out for any damage or missing shingles and make sure they are repaired before the snow falls. And of course, while you are fixing your roof make sure all gutters are clear of debris.
Whether you are a happy home owner or looking to sell in the near future make sure your house is winter ready!